Pelegrims is the brainchild of natural formulator, Alex Verier (previously Director at Haeckels), backed by former tech executive (and Sommelier trained) Jérôme Moisan. The founders are pleased to also be supported by Gaelle Scoul (previously Le Labo) in marketing and communications.
Alex says, “Our intention is to formulate low intervention, active skincare formulations that work in harmony with the skin supporting it to heal and rejuvenate itself. Sustainability is hugely important to us, so using waste products from the wine making process and harnessing the powerful grape extracts are at the core of our brand and our future research. We’re looking forward to documenting our product journey in the years ahead”.
Our partner vineyard: Westwell Wines
Westwell is located just beneath the Pilgrims Way on the North Downs in Kent; a route used for centuries by Pilgrims travelling to Canterbury. The estate boasts an ideal mix of climate, aspect and soil and grows four different varieties - Pinot Meunier, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Ortega. All the wines are made on-site from estate grown fruit.
The Westwell philosophy is simple: plant well, respect the soil and make great, honest wines from brilliant fruit. The team loves to experiment - from skin contact to dessert wines, wild ferments, amphora, pet nats and more - continuing to minimise intervention at every step.
Westwell think not just in terms of the next few vintages but the next generations. In the vineyard, the goal is to grow the best grapes possible while protecting and strengthening the soil, combining organic, sustainable and conventional practices, minimising intervention, conserving the vineyard and surrounding environment and promoting biodiversity.
Our guiding principles
- Imperfection, irregularity and roughness are ok; the beauty is in the intention and the care. Let nature dictate.
- We remind ourselves of the virtues of patience – we intend to learn for a long time.
- We are not guided by the frenetic search for more – products will exist if / when they are ready (there is no pressure to launch 6 new ones each year)
- We just seek to enjoy today with a long attention span and find joy in missing out
- We are privately owned and independence allows us to do things that don’t make sense
- There is no destination mapped out by quantitative considerations (scale, revenue) that would require us to invent marketing moments or manufacture artificial consistency
- We do not compete: there is no such thing as superiority; just like it would be ridiculous to wonder which is the best colour in the world
- We hold ourselves to B Corp standards